Brought to you by Maria & Claire
This is the last weeknote for this phase of our project to Transform Print & Post at Hackney Council. If you want to catch up on what we did last week, you can still read that (and all our other) weeknotes.
This week was all about rounding the project to an end and ensuring that we had created a service which was fit for purpose, showing how we got to where we did and providing the evidence to build a Business Case for the implementation of this new service.
The long read
We started our week by making changes to the service blueprint by incorporating all the comments and features suggested by users and the technical aspects of the chosen fulfilment solutions.
On the front-end, we articulated a to-be service blueprint with all the features and suggestions for later implementation. On the back-end, a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) blueprint, showing how the highest priority requirements will be initially implemented. We had a demo for two of the proposed fulfilment solutions, Connect Send and GOV.UK Notify (thank you David Durant).
Later on, we assessed the proposed service against the user needs and requirements, this meant we could justify if we have met or haven’t met the user needs.
We did this by putting a tick against the user needs that our service has met and created a document explaining our rationale behind it. We also identified caveats for when meeting user needs. In some cases, the design theoretically met the needs but we would only know for certain when developing the solution further. Examples of this could be, after the development and user testing of the solution, or after creating the content of the pages that will be seen by the user.
To make continuing with the project as seamless as possible, we compiled our procedure notes. These are a summary of what we did, the decisions we made and the evidence to back up those decisions. This task took a lot of focus because it entailed revisiting everything we have done in the project over the last five weeks.
After looking at the past, we started looking at the future of the service and how its success will be measured. To do that we did consequences scanning and action sorting. We started by thinking what were the intended and unintended consequences of this service. We then grouped them by affinity and plot them in an action sorting map. The map allowed us to define whether we could act on a consequence, influence it or just monitor it. Each of these groups were also ranked as low or high priority. From the action sorting, we dot-voted the consequences we thought were most important and defined our success criteria and its Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). We want our service to:
- Divert 45 % of franked Mail through the new service
- Increase Print Room volume by 17%
- Reduce MFD Volumes by a further 10% on current predictions in yr 1
- Have 70% of users rate the service as “Good” or better
Towards the end of the sprint, we started thinking about next steps for the project. We put together a backlog with themes and epics for further development of the service. Our four themes are:
- One Stop Shop
- Back-end fulfilment solutions
- Staffing & Support
- Incoming Post
We also generated epics to support our themes and prioritised them.
The next steps will be to create a business case to move our work into prototyping before continuing with the Hackney Agile Lifecycle.
Thank you so much for reading our final weeknote and we look forward to continuing the work to transform print & post at Hackney Council