Transforming Print & Post – Weeknote 16th July 2020

This is the penultimate (5 of 6) weeknote for this phase of our project to Transform Print & Post at Hackney Council. If you want to catch up on what we did last week, you can still read that (and all our other) weeknotes.


TL:DR Version

I feel like I say this every week but… it was a busy one. This week’s focus was squarely on wider validation of our idea and data gathering to support shortlisting of fulfilment solutions.

We got a group of 11 interested folks together and gave them a more detailed run through of our proposed solution than we had time to do at show & tell. We then asked them for their feedback via a Google form. The topline feedback was that 90% of users liked the solution and 63% felt it met their needs fully with the rest feeling their needs were met partially.

It was all hands to the pumps to gather as much data about costs, turn around times and services offered with regard to our current fulfilment solutions. We did this so that we could create a shortlist of the best’ ones to plug into our new service to fulfil users needs. This all culminated in sessions on Thursday where we chose our top 2 for each of our top priority print requirements.

Next week, we will be finalising our blueprint by adding in the different solutions for each set of print requirements, producing a roadmap of work required to implement our solutions, defining our success criteria and KPIs and getting ready to present everything back to you in our final show & tell (not much…).


The Long Read

We started our week with our final sprint planning of this phase. It felt like there was a lot left in the backlog but that it was doable. Our goal this sprint is:

Our focus is to refine, validate and communicate our granular service blueprint based on our learnings. We believe producing a robustly tested, granular service blueprint that demonstrates good customer service and value will form a solid foundation to continue this work. We will know this is done when we have a set of artefacts and a roadmap which lays out how we will move our service into implementation.

The team on Monday morning

Again, we were really conscious to include our actions from last sprints retro in our planning to ensure the ways we are working get iterated just as much as the work we are doing does.

The main task was to complete was desk research around the current print and post fulfilment solutions available to users. There are, at least, 6 ways to print and/or post something in the Council. We gathered and backwards engineered as much comparable data as we could around pricing and turn around times as we could. This meant we had to choose some standard requirements e.g. 5 sheets of double sided printed in black and white in a C5 envelope sent first class.

Where does it start? Where does it end? We didn’t know…

We collated this all into a (beautiful) spreadsheet and then scored them (much like you would score applications to tender). This enabled us to form a shortlist of potential fulfilment solutions for the printing and posting requirements that occur most commonly. These are:

  • C5 envelope with 5 sheets of double sided black & white print posted 2nd Class
  • C5 envelope with 5 sheets of double sided black & white print posted Class
  • C5 envelope with 5 sheets of double sided colour print along with a 3 page booklet insert posted 2nd Class
  • C4 envelope with 5 sheets of double sided black & white print posted 1st Class Recorded

We dug a bit deeper into the shortlisted solutions to uncover and record complexity, dependencies and unknowns. This allowed us to size them (XL, L, M, S). We also allocated them an impact number (based on how many of our MoSCoW needs they met). We then plotted them on a graph of Impact and effort to identify which solutions would be taken forward into implementation as a priority.

effort and impact blank graph

On top of all that, we held our last walkthrough and feedback session with 11 users. We took them through our solution idea in more detail than we covered at the show & tell. This meant our users got the chance to ask more pointed and specific questions as well as being able to provide feedback for us to consider in future iterations.

The topline feedback was that 90% of users liked the solution and 63% felt it met their needs fully with the rest feeling their needs were met partially. We also gathered some great ideas about what would enhance the offer even further and identified a few gaps that we can work to fill e.g. legal documents with the need for ‘wet’ signatures etc.

Next week is our final week.

We will be forming our implementation roadmap, defining success criteria and KPIs, finalising the granular blueprint, publishing our last weeknote and holding our final show & tell.

+ posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.