The Talent Acquisition Discovery is a new project which commenced this week. It is a small internal project, which will help us think about how we can successfully recruit high quality staff.
Why are we doing it?
We want to build in-house capability so we have more operational flexibility and reduce cost. We face many challenges when recruiting, these include;
- Matching supply and demand
- Competing with other local authorities and private sector companies for high-quality candidates
- Practitioners preconceptions of working for local government
What has been done so far…
- Started by meeting with a few managers to understand how they recruit in our department
- Gathered statistics from HR on recent ICT adverts.
- Mapped the recruitment process for Contractors and Permanent/ Fixed term contract staff.
Findings so far …
- Generally, ICT recruit in response to an increase in demand, someone leaving, or because a position is hard to fill.
- Due to the nature of our projects recruitment is often reactive opposed to planned.
- It maybe useful to consider a hiring plan to manage the ongoing demand more effectively.
- It maybe useful to have a Programme Lead with oversight on all projects. E.g. Someone who can challenge the need for a resource, forward think and support the allocation and demand for new and existing resources.
- Exploring the option of a HackIT hiring plan
- Talking through options with Senior Management