Hello and welcome to the first official weeknote for “Joining Up Staff Data”.
Our goal is to have identified and created a means to join people data together across systems and we have used this to deliver key insights about the business.
This is the first of our ‘inception’ style pieces of work, in that it’s a project within a project within a project!
It’s also the second of the HackIT ‘experiments’ asking lots of ‘what if’ questions, such as what if we worked on something in a more intense and focused manner amongst other things.
So this week we kicked off and engaged on sprint zero. A week in which the new team were able to review those that had come before them and get all of their thoughts in a row before embarking on the journey to alpha.
It’s a journey that needs a good look in the rear view mirror. Some of the team who carried out the discovery are no longer with the organisation and the origins of the project are rooted some distance back. Furthermore, the goal of this project is something that has developed after the discovery was completed from the project that sits above it in our inception structure.
We’ve also got some newbies to agile on the project, so we are all very much learning as we are going.
The good news, is that the experimental structure that we are trialling for HackIT allows us the time and the space to learn as we go and the management structure around the team has been supportive and mostly ‘cleared the path’ for those working on the project to give it their best shot!
So what did we do in our sprint zero?
Essentially we explored the original overarching discovery and drew down from that information, those insights that will help us to understand and plan out our journey to achieving our project goal.
At our kick off we:
- Learned lots about each other and our working styles through some amusing activities and creating a basic ‘user manual of me’
- Heard from Henry, our project sponsor, about what the hopes are for the project.
- We worked out what was in scope and out of scope
- We decided on the phases of the project
- We worked out what we needed to do in sprint zero so that we could step in to sprint 1 armed and ready to start delivering insights in to the business.
During sprint zero we:
- Split the discovery info in to categories (data, systems & servers and people)
- We researched the discovery info and asked stakeholders about these areas and distilled the info in to important facts and questions that inform us for sprint 1
- We created a hub document that we will refer to across the project
- We explored the difference between having ‘comprehensive’ data and ‘enough’ data to make decisions.
- We started a data asset register (who knows and manages what data)
- We created a list of next steps and important questions that we could take in to sprint 1.
It was a productive week and we managed to pull everything in to place in time for the end of the week, even with a last minute change in the team!
Being sprint zero, we weren’t really expecting to deliver a value nugget, but Lisa, in her work researching who would be best to speak to about what data inadvertently started the creation of a data asset register. It’s e
We’re really looking forward to heading in to the coming week where we embark on sprint one with gusto and a want to win this!
Before I go however, this is a big subject area. One of our consistent temptations was to get in to the bigger thinking, to try to figure out way too much stuff too quickly – so we found this video to be of use…
That’s it for this week!!!
Until next time…