Welcome back to Submit my Planning Application weeknotes.
We are now in the final phase of work on the minimum viable product. This is where we’re going to wire together all of our moving parts and get it all working seamlessly.
There’s been a bit of a change in team to do this. Emma P, Victoria and Wingwo are no longer on the project team and we have been joined by Mathew Trivett from Snook. Welcome!
We’ll still be sending you weeknotes and having monthly show & tells. New to this phase too is a monthly blog post so keep your eyes peeled
For more general updates, continue to check our project site; showing all the great stuff we’re doing and key information about the project.
Huge thanks to Emma P, Victoria and Wingwo for all of their time, effort and commitment to this project. We still look forward to seeing you at whatever show & tells you can come to! Also thanks to those of you who came to the end of phase show & tell in March. You can see the slide deck here if you want to catch up.
What we did this week
Kicked off the project by:
Planning work order into sprints
Moving over to using JIRA to track progress
Integrating JIRA to GitHub so that developers can update comments and status’ via commit messages
Started work on Sprint 1 which will focus on getting all data from the form a user fills in successfully saving to the back end in a wonderful, organised way.
Sprint 1 will run for 2 weeks
Sprint 2 will focus on accounts
We need to decide what URL our service can be accessed from
We need to source a transactional email provider (initially looking at Gov Notify)
What are we keeping an eye on?
Other planning projects that may impact on ours (namely the replacement of Northgate M3 with Tascomi for planning applications)
Other ICT projects that may impact on ours (namely the API factory which is re-engineering Hackney’s environments and development processes)
Progress on the Addresses API at Hackney as or project is dependent on this
The go live scope is strictly fixed and will deliver ‘Must Have’ Stories
We considerably closer to pulling off a co-design workshop with library colleagues. A huge thank you to Sue and her team for juggling rotas to help us get this over the line.
Our MVP is emerging
My favourite moments this week have been the conversations about our MVP. Some great debate about what’s minimal vs what’s viable, and what’s achievable in a time-boxed build phase. It’s exciting to watch our list of user stories mature and grow as a result of all the hard work over the last 10 weeks.
Working out where our service starts and finishes
Sebastian has been looking into where our service starts and finishes. Yet again, GDS as come up trumps with some really solid guidance on the use of subdomains and URL naming conventions.
We are mystery shopping
Liam has been looking again at our “competitors” – aka other Councils and their booking processes for libraries and community halls. Our MVP will be based on our user needs and tested workflows, and early signs are we can add value to other councils by sharing what we are developing and making our code available.
We are (almost) ready for our service assessment
Our service assessment is in a couple of weeks. We’ve been building in preparation to our sprints, which is paying off. It’s a great opportunity to look back over the last couple of months and reflect on how far we’ve come and what we’ve learnt.
This week the team focused our efforts on three fronts, specifically:
Support for the Leasehold Services and Income collection teams who are using the Manage Arrears App.
A deep dive through the product backlog ensuring that we are fully reflecting the results of the recent feedback sessions with our Product Owner and associated teams. This will allow us to support the Product Owner in clearly expressing the features and enhancements we want to progress with the app in the next phase of the project and beyond.
Preparation for the next Service Assessment – Our next assessment is looming on the 10th June. We are pulling together the necessary data to support that.
The system is being used and letters are being sent and we have had confirmation via tenants that the Gov Notify service has delivered proving the end to end journey.
Despite our latest test phase coming to a close our internal teams requested that we leave the app running so they can continue to use it – specifically for helper functions such as sending SMS.
An error was identified in one of our templates. We rectified the issue within a couple of hours of discovery this necessitated a full lifecycle deployment though Dev > Staging > Production. We have ensured that on similar stories in the backlog acceptance criteria are in place to prevent such an error from occurring in future phases.
Next week we are continuing with our backlog cultivation/grooming/extension and will also be continuing with work towards the next Service Assessment.