We’ve kicked off!
Improving our e-forms is a somewhat contentious title, as there are many debates surrounding what is a form vs what is not a form and that changes depending on who you talk to, but not wishing to get locked in an apprentice style forever meeting about team name, we plumped for this and cracked on with actually doing!
We’re anticipating a rather swift discovery, as those who have come before us have also discovered, so we’re keen to take the conversation out of spiral and in to a more linear direction.
How to do that?
I’ll admit, it’s not the easiest.
It’s slightly chicken and egg, because what are currently using forms for, are not necessarily good for the user and so we are trying to navigate how we might understand what we are currently dealing with at the same time that we are in the knowledge that they are not what the users want, whilst at the same time trying to discover whether a hypothesis about a potential solution might be available on the market…
Confusing? We’ve already worked through three blocks of post-it notes, a tray of Mr Kipling and even used the emergency pom poms to try and tease this out…
However, our first week of our first sprint has begun to show some emerging pieces.
We completed a comprehensive workshop on what we think the important aspects of the criteria might be for the solution, which was extremely well attended – which talks to us about the level of interest and engagement around this piece of work.
The criteria for a solution might, however, have been a bit premature if truth be told. We attempted to correlate an existing list of functions that involve forms in some way with that criteria list and the activity struggled to reach a natural and organic conclusion. That said, it may be that we were trying to connect the wrong dots and Paul (the product owner) and I will see what we can do to move the pieces around tomorrow, or in fact see if there are any pieces missing.
Despite this however, all of the data we are capturing is really useful.
After doing a blind exercise on the criteria for a potential solution, the average scores lined up in such a way that the core team could split the criteria in to quartiles around importance. This is a cheeky little win that we might be able to share with other projects thinking on a build/buy matter through and save them the trouble of having a workshop.
This week, I sense that it will benefit us to check in on the project briefs and definitions of done, to see if we can tighten anything up that may help to spot any other possible temptations to step a bit too far forward. (I take the rap on this one as Delivery Manager that we perhaps jumped too far in to a possible solution within the discovery phase).
We are working swiftly, but it emphasises the importance of resisting the temptation to whizz ahead, as it has the potential of costing more time in the long run. It’s not necessarily what’s happened here, but it is possible we have and it is worth checking in to make sure we avoid the potential to do so again (if indeed we did).
I’m looking forward to planning our show and tell on this one, as I think we’ll get loads of feedback – it seems that a lot of people really want this to succeed and the team working on this really want to make a difference and an impact.
Onward to week 2 – let’s see where the discovery will take us and how we can splice these unruly concepts together!