Eleanor has spent some time this week doing work with colleagues within the council who support local businesses and the voluntary sector, alongside Hackney Venues – another council space provider, to understand how we can best promote library spaces that will be available through the tool for our first phase. We’re also understanding how promotional activity might change when other venues (like community halls) are added to our tool in future.
Calendar and next steps
As mentioned in last week’s weeknote we had conducted some user research around our calendar. We knew we had to make changes. This week we have implemented some changes to the calendar whilst making sure what we design is accessible. We then conducted some pop-up research to establish whether the changes we have made now make it easier to use.
We aimed to identify whether residents can easily find and understand when a space is available to book.
We gathered results from 4 participants and the early signs are good, but Sam and Winston want to carry out a bit more research next week to validate the design.
We are making movements on the payment front having this week agreed on the URL structure that we can use to provide the user with a customised link to make a payment for their booking within our payment system, Civica Pay.
Jayson has carried out some initial tests in the sandbox environment of Civica Pay with the correct confirmation pages being displayed at the right time.
Going forward, we’ll continue to make further technical leaps that include testing our Onsched API.
We carried out some user research on our calendar last week, and as a result we now have some great insights into how we can make using it a better experience for our users.
Our research informed us that there was some confusion around the availability of rooms, leading us to consider if there is a better way to display what is available and unavailable for the date and time selected.
Research also highlighted some issues around information users would want to have once they have completed a booking, including, but not limited to;
How to access the room on the day
How the room would be set up on the day
Whether changes could be made to the booking, and if so was there a cut of time for this
Was there a number they could call if they had any issues on the day
Our action going forward is to add this missing information into the confirmation screen and booking email.
This week we wrapped up Sprint 6 by carrying out a retro that focussed on communication. It was important for us to discuss as a team how we felt about the agile ceremonies, and if there were any adjustments to be made. We also had some honest conversations around our usage of Trello and how we can make this a more productive experience for us all, and really understand the worth in it. We look forward to trying out some changes in Sprint 7.
Sprint 7 is upon us, and although we still have a few tasks to complete from Sprint 6 it hasn’t slowed down our productivity. We are going full steam ahead!
As a result of last weeks user research, we will focus on re-evaluating and finalising our options around the calendar this sprint, some of this work involves iterating our forms and carrying out some more user research. In addition, we hope to set up our payment system and test this out.
Thank you to those who were able to attend our final Revitalising the Hackney Intranet project show and tell yesterday. For those of you who did not get the chance to attend, or would like to take another look, I’ve attached the slides here!
What we covered:
Migrating intranet content from Goss to WordPress
Making the intranet available outside of VDI
Making the intranet available on mobile and tablets
Meeting Public Sector Accessibility requirements
Creating a WordPress theme
If you have any questions or comments, please get in touch.
Last week Sam kicked off our usability research and started out by piloting the research with an internal booker on our Select a room and Room Detailspages. Results from the test run prompted some minor changes to current scenarios and some content. On completion of those changes Sam carried out the research again but this time with four external participants. To make the most of the session Sam set up Google Hangouts to allow some of the Spacebank team to observe the research from another room and take notes, this was also opened up to the wider ICT staff who were welcome to observe and take notes also. On Monday we went through the top things that came out of the decisions and thought about what further changes we might be able to make.
ALSO, due to the level of work and effort Sam put into the user research prep and the session itself, he was voted star of the sprint by the team. Well done Sam!
This week, to keep adding value to users each sprint, we managed to put our Community Halls landing page and enquiry form live, which you can take a look at here: https://hackney.gov.uk/community-hall-hire. This left us with only one story incomplete at the end of our sprint. Go team Spacebank!
We have another round of user research booked in for next Friday where we will be testing the changes we have made. We will also be seeing how our new libraries booking form page, booking reservation page and booking reservation email meets the needs of users. This time around we will also be inviting our library stakeholders to come and observe the process and feedback.
Onwards and upwards for Spacebank!
NOTE: We will be holding our next show and tell on Tuesday with a strong focus on user research so please come along if you have the time and want to find out more. (Tuesday 11th February at 11:00 am (HSC Fourth Floor).