Weeknote 4 of 6 is here! If you missed last weeks, don’t worry, it’s still around for your entertainment and information.
We designed our ‘To-Be’ service blueprint and sanity checked it with users. No one recoiled in horror at our idea and it was actually pretty well received but we need to think more about very short turn around printing needs and how that is best fulfilled. We gathered feedback ready to make recommendations for when the implementation of the service gets underway.
Thanks to those who attended our show and tell on Thursday afternoon. There was a lot of information in it so please feel free to watch the Sprint 2 Show & Tell Video Recording and access the slides (and links to bigger images) of our work. Thank you again SO MUCH to everyone who has given up their time to participate in research and testing on this project We appreciate you!
Next week is the start of our final sprint where we need to design the ‘plumbing’ that will deliver our user experience. It’s going to be exciting but intense.
The Long Read
This week our focus has been on design & test. We spent Monday and Tuesday immersed in working out what our ‘To Be’ service blueprint could look like in order to meet our prioritised user needs. We did this over a series of sessions with the team and focussed very much on what the user experience would be like rather than what providers might be able to deliver the service we want our users to have (that will come later)
We also focussed predominantly on the outgoing post and print user experience as outgoing print and post is approximately five times more volume than incoming.
We ended up with an idea of a ‘One Stop Shop’ for printing and posting that allows you to request print, print and post or post services all from one place.
Once we had what the team considered a viable offer, we took it to users. Our testing consisted of a walkthrough of key features and scenario based examples. It went well and our ‘One Stop Shop’ idea was well received.
We plan to get further feedback next sprint by running a 1 hour session when interested parties can attend for a more details walkthrough than we gave in the show and tell. If you would like to attend this, please drop Emma an email.
The main concern in feedback was that the service didn’t meet the needs of immediate and ad-hoc need for printing e.g.
I have a meeting in 5 minutes and I’ve totally forgotten to print the minutes!
This is tricky for us as, arguably, our service should not be designed to fulfil that need but, where do you draw the line? If you need something in an hour or 2 should our service support it or should that need be met by some other function (e.g. the multi-functional devices in Hackney campuses or maybe just not printing the minutes at all and using an electronic alternative)?
We will be thinking about this in more depth and talking with other print related project teams in Hackney during our final sprint to make sure that, if we aren’t responsible for this need, that someone else is and that it is being fulfilled because it’s definitely a need!
Our final activity of the week was our sprint retrospective. I did one of my favourite retrospectives activities every during the session called ‘The Worst We Could Do’. During this you imagine what you could do to ensure the next sprint is a failure. It’s a great way to get your team to focus on what best practises are and how they should be working. It’s also a great way to generate a list of ‘warning’ style behaviours so that you can catch any derailing nice and early. Here’s what we thought we could do to ruin the last iteration for ourselves.
Next week is the start of our final sprint where we need to design the ‘plumbing’ that will deliver our user experience. It’s going to be exciting but intense. We should enable us to answer some of the more complex questions around which edge case needs we can service and which will need something new/novel/different by the time were done as well as knowing how sustainable our service is and what we can measure as success.
Until then….wish us luck!